Pages

Upcoming gigs

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Shiva Rea: Surf Yoga Soul

I am trying to work out to a new dvd or Exercise TV workout once a week and I most recently tried Surf Yoga Soul with Shiva Rea.  The workout I did was not the complete dvd, but an excerpt, about 40 minutes.  I liked it enough to buy my own copy!

I like the different moves that Shiva does on this DVD. I have been practicing for quite a long time now and a few of the moves were new to me.  I know this DVD will be great for building strength and flexibility, two things that everyone loves!

You don't have to be a surfer to enjoy this video, since it focuses on creative movements that open your body and heart, and strengthen your muscles and mind.
In the dvd, there are seven segments you can complete at once for a 75-minute workout, or you can choose the ones you have time for and create your own personal workout. One called Agni Namaskar is a challenging variation of sun salutations developed to strengthen the core muscles and the upper body. She takes you through the same series of nine rounds of 12 push-ups.  Another segment called Balance Flow cultivates your balancing skills doing poses such as Warrior 3 and Side Crow, and opens your hips doing stretches such as Extended Pigeon. The other segments include meditation, breathwork, flexibility, and rest (Savasana). 

This is one of the best Yoga dvds I've found because it's both challenging and creative, and targets every part of the body. My muscles felt the perfect balance of being strengthened, lengthened, and opened. I could see myself doing this video regularly and not getting bored. I definitely recommend this DVD to both beginner and advanced yogis.

No comments:

Post a Comment